Monday, November 24, 2014

What is the one thing that you want to be remembered for?

What a tough question...

1) What I think I should say:  I want to be remembered for loving Jesus and genuinely showing his love to others.

2) What I want to say:  I want to be remembered for being kind, genuine, and compassionate.

3) What I hope people will say:  Betty Anne was hilarious.  Could always count on her for a laugh.

4) What I actually think people will say:  Bless her heart.

about 2:  I'm decent at being kind to strangers.  More than decent, actually.  I'm routinely very, very nice to people I don't know.  I smile when I don't feel like it.  I go out of my way to make customer service people in particular feel appreciated.  I've been in customer service roles.  I get it.  It comes pretty easily to me to show these people kindness.

Why, then, is it so hard for me to be as kind to those around me that I interact with every day??  Scott, my kids, my parents??  I can be mean in a heartbeat to any of them.  Why??  They aren't mean to me!  (well, the kids are sometimes...) Why is it so much harder for me to be consistently nice to those closest to me??

What do you want to be remembered for?

No comments: