Saturday, November 15, 2014

What Scares You?

Describe something you are afraid of...

1) DINOSAURS.    

I am terrified of them.

I know, I know.  That is ridiculous.  They don't exist anymore.  For some reason, this does not prevent my brain from coming up with horrific nightmares revolving around dinosaurs.  Only two kinds of dinos haunt my dreams:  T-rexs (or rexes??) and velociraptors.  I mean, are there any other kind to be be afraid of??  I don't remember if I had dinosaur nightmares prior to 1993 when Jurassic Park came out.  I'll bet not.  That movie probably created my dinosaur fear FORREAL.  Thanks for that, Hollywood.  I have since seen that movie more times than I can count.  It's like I can't look away if it comes on tv. 

Don't look at me like that.  You know you do the same thing with scary movies you come across while channel surfing.  You just.can't.stop.watching.

Thankfully, I don't have nightmares often.  But 95% of the time when I do, it involves dinosaurs.

2)  DEEP DARK OCEAN WATER    

Gaw...just typing that phrase makes me breathe faster.  I have been snorkeling a few times in my life.  Someone once suggested I take scuba diving lessons.  "With scuba you get to see so much more than you can see on the surface of the water while snorkeling," they said.  WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT??!  If I can't see it from the surface, I don't wanna see it.  And there's stuff I can see from the surface that I don't wanna see (sharks).  On our honeymoon, Scott and I went snorkeling.  They made us have a buddy when we got in the water, for safety purposes.  The first time they let us get in the water with our snorkel gear on, I put my head under the water, viewed the vast expanse of ocean around us, and promptly hyperventilated.  That's hard to do when your nose is non-functional due to a snorkeling mask.  They ended up throwing me a swimmy-thing that they recommended non-stellar swimmers use.  I am not a novice swimmer, but in that moment, I was doing great to keep my head above water.  Pretty sure Scott wanted a new snorkel buddy after that... 

I went on a cruise. Once.  I struggled the whole time with the idea of how deep and dark the water we were in was.  ZOIKS. 

I absolutely love the beach, but freak out about deep ocean water.  Go figure.  For me, walking to the end of a pier and looking down is a fantastic exercise in mind over matter. *deep breaths, deep breaths*

Besides losing a loved one, these are two of my top fears.

Watchoo afraid of??

1 comment:

Anne Acuff said...

1. Really high places, like bridges and buildings…
2. Snakes
3. The loss of a child...