Wednesday, December 21, 2016

One Week Ago

Mark made his dramatic entry into the world one week ago today.

And what a day it was!

Over the next few days, I'll be piecing together Mark's birth story.  In the mean time, I'll tell you about the here and now.

We are:

Tired.  *shocker* Mark is doing well eating every 1-3 hours during the day and 3-4 hours at night.  Scott has been taking the first portion of the night shift.  After we get the older two in bed between 7-730pm, I feed Mark and then head to bed myself.  I cat nap until the next feeding time.  Scott stays up with him and keeps him happy until it's time to wake me up around 11pm or 12am (depending on what time Mark ate last).  Then Scott goes to bed and I take over.  Thankfully, James and Reese are sleeping decently these days and not requiring anything in the overnight hours.

Grateful:  There's not a lot of glamour involved at this stage of the game.  My body feels like it's been through the ringer for sure.  HOWEVER, I have a thousand things for which to be grateful.  I didn't have to have a c-section.  Breastfeeding is going okay.  (doing a combo of breast and bottle currently) My milk supply is...ABUNDANT.  Mark seems to be pretty laid back most of the time.  James and Reese LOVE him.  Scott is off work right now and so incredibly helpful.  Our church family is feeding us regularly.  Those are just a few things, but there are many more.

Adjusting:  As anyone might have guessed, I think this transition has been hardest on Reese.  She love love loves Mark, but is easily frustrated by how little she can do with and for him.  She wants to touch him all the time, hug him, kiss him, etc.  And I want her to leave the sleeping baby ALONE.  I know she's missing my involvement in her day, too.  Scott has been handling more of her day to day needs than I have.  She prefers me.  (James prefers Scott, so it's all fair...)  Overall I think she's doing well, but when her frustration level is on the rise, her behavior can send Scott and I over the edge pretty quick-like.  Pray for patience...for all of us. James doesn't seem to bothered by the whole situation.  He checks on the baby frequently, but doesn't share Reese's exasperation about how much he sleeps or how frequently he eats.

What's different this time:  When James was born, the first week was a complete and total BLUR.  I don't think I slept much at all.  I felt overwhelmed.  When Reese was born, I was a little more prepared for how it would be, but it was still overwhelming.  This go-round I would say the first week has been about as good as it could possibly be.  My recovery is going decently.  Mark seems to be doing pretty well.  My expectations have been pretty spot on with our reality.  I reserve the right to change my mind about this in another week or two when Scott is back at work and the kids are back in school, but so far the transition to "party of five" has gone well.

No comments: