Friday, February 14, 2014

Transition Is...Challenging!

When was the last time you started a new job?  How long were you at the previous one?  Did you have a hard time starting over?

On January 27th, I started my new job here in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in Columbia, SC.  I worked my last job (my first job as a nurse) for 5.5 years at Rex Hospital in the Special Care Nursery in Raleigh, NC.  I loved it there.  I loved Rex, my coworkers, and my job.

Starting over has been challenging!  Not bad or icky, just hard.  Don't get me wrong, I really, really like the new job.  I do.  The people have been kind, welcoming, and supportive.  Yesterday I met the director of Women's and Children's department (my new boss's boss).  She was in our department, knew I was a new employee, sought me out to say hello and introduce herself.  I was feeding a baby at the time and couldn't stand up and shake hands or salute or anything.  I felt irreverent.  She was very nice, though, thankfully.  I digress.

New job: challenging.  Stay focused, BA.

It's just hard to start over, ya know?  My preceptor said it well.  It is hard to go from being competent, confident and self-sufficient to needing help with everything and second guessing what I thought I knew. (My preceptor has been fantastic.)

Here are a few things I'm learning during this job transition:

1)  Keep my mouth shut about my opinions on everything.  Nobody cares.  At least, not yet they don't.

2)  Stay humble and teachable.  I definitely do NOT know it all.  I have much, much, much to learn.  This NICU is more intensive than Rex.  I have a lot to learn about sicker, smaller babies and their care.  I have a lot to learn about how this hospital does things.  If I can keep an attitude of "I have so much to learn!" it will help keep me in check.

3)  Moderate the sarcasm and snarky-ness.  This is/will be a significant struggle for me.  This is my go-to mode for humor and stress management.  When the pressure is on, I get sassier.  Have to remind myself of #1.  My poor, poor preceptor...

4)  Be kind and helpful, however I can.  I cannot anticipate the needs of my coworkers yet.  I struggle trying to find supplies simply because I'm new.  But I can follow directions and offer helping hands.  I came from a great teamwork environment.  I've already seen a lot of teamwork on this new unit.  That's encouraging.

What else would you add?  What do I need to keep in mind?  What advice do you have for me?

I know transition doesn't last forever.  The discomfort it brings with it drives me to learn, grow, stretch and be better.  I'm going to try and make the most it.




No comments: