Monday, January 27, 2014

First Day of School!

I'm not (too) ashamed to admit that yesterday I felt sorta like Nemo in this clip about my upcoming first day of work:




I was excited to go back to work.

I was excited because it's a brand new place (to me).

I'm an extroverted extrovert, so the idea of PEOPLE gets me pumped.

I cannot say that I was dripping with enthusiasm this morning at 6 am when my alarm went off.  But after waking up a bit and washing the sleep out of my eyes, the excitement resurfaced.  Also, perhaps related, the venti caramel chai tea latte encouraged enthusiasm to bubble to the top.  It also helped my hands be a little jittery, but that's neither here nor there.

For my badge-picture-day recently, I did my hair all purdy and even put on makeup (a rarity for me).  Today, when I was pretty certain there would be no pictures, I did my usual no-makeup, hair in a pony tail routine.  Last night as Scott and I were discussing what time I would need to leave in the morning and how long it would take me to get ready, I mentioned my no fancy hair/no makeup plans.  "Somebody's not getting a first impression rose,"  he said in typical quick-witted-Scott-style.  Thankfully for me, this is not "The Bachelor".

Back to this morning...  With minimal traffic encountered, I arrived at my new job site just before orientation day began.  I expected this first day of orientation to be a large group of people in one room all day with 7,612 presenters indoctrinating new employees on company culture, policies, and procedures.  I was not disappointed.  Of note, I learned that almost every speaker pronounced the word "Palmetto" as "PAL-metto", as in ole buddy ole 'pal'.  I had been pronouncing it like pall-metto (like in pall-bearers).  I'll let you know if my pronunciation changes throughout this first week of orientation...

I met a labor and delivery new-grad nurse at my table first thing this morning.  YAY!  Somebody remotely in my world!  At lunch she brought me a chocolate chip cookie from the buffet line.  As you can imagine, I declared her to be MY NEW BEST FRIEND.  (I'm so so sorry Amy, you knew I was easily bought with chocolate chip cookies...)

Speaking of food, they fed us twice today!  Breakfast and lunch!  Hey, if you wanna feed me two decent meals and pay me to be there, I'll listen to however many presenters you wanna throw at me.

All in all, it was a good first day.

Tomorrow begins clinical orientation (still not on the unit yet).  And it may SNOW tomorrow afternoon.  WHAAAA??  This is South Carolina.  There should be NO snow here.

I'll keep ya posted!  Yay!  Second day of school!  Second day of school!  Oh geez....there I go again...

No comments: